Saturday, July 10, 2010

Catholic Weddings in Los Angeles



Unlike in the Philippines, Catholic churches in Los Angeles do not require both couples to be baptized Roman Catholics. After having spoken to two churches, it appears that the Diocese of Los Angeles's has some standard requirements. A few I found interesting were...

1. We must sign a document committing to raise our children Catholic. This was okay with me because I had fully intended to do this anyway. :)


2. The bride and groom must each complete a 180-question test that gauges whether we are compatible and mature enough to marry. They actually said that you can FAIL this test and the church may refuse to marry you. Wow! I have no idea how they would even compute a passing score.


We are considering two churches: Saint Monica (which I blogged about two weeks ago) and Saint Timothy. Both are very beautiful and classic. Saint Monica is my current parish. And Saint Timothy was where I went to mass when I first moved to Los Angeles. It is on Pico Boulevard and Beverly Glen, very close to the apartment I stayed at on Beverly Drive.


The pictures in the post are of Saint Timothy, taken by the photographer we are considering working with for the wedding. One thing to note is that churches DO NOT allow flash photography during the ceremony. And they are typically dark inside, unlike those in the Philippines. So the photographer has to be really good at making it appear like there is a lot of light.




I met with the wedding coordinator of Saint Timothy last week. She grew up in Hong Kong! During our meeting, I was reminded of that tour guide (she looks and talks just like her)... The SHAK eat many peepoh areeeeeeehdy.

2 comments: